Sunday, November 16, 2008

Some Real Heroes

I was surprised to receive my latest email edition of Dr. Boris Gindis' newsletter (a real helpful resource for parents of older adopted children) to find that A) It addressed the very issue I was trying to get across to Kenny's teachers recently...that his verbal skills are not indicative of his written/reading skills and B) That one of my own recent blog posts about the controversial article about international adoption was linked within the newsletter! To think that anything I have ever written would be considered worthy of linking by someone like Dr. Gindis and his staff is a real honor. You can find them at the link on the left hand side of the blog.

I checked out the other link though that led me to a web site which touched me to the core. There is a web site dedicated to the adoption of children with Down's Syndrome, they advocate and educate in the hopes of finding homes for children that in most countries are institutionalized for life and here in the US have a chance at having a productive and happy future. The web site is www.reecesrainbow.com .

I checked out the web site and found a page that highlighted the children who have come home and their families. These are some real heroes, these are the families that are extraordinary: www.reecesrainbow.com/homecomings.htm . You have to go and see this for yourself, and if you don't find yourself in awe of the love exhibited there, then you must need a heart transplant. There are links to many family blogs, which no doubt will provide you with many hours of reading enjoyment. I have yet to hit more than a couple of them, but will slowly read them all as I have time.

I will post pictures of Kenny's birthday later this week. Thanks to all who wished him a Happy Birthday!

Have a Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

Hilary Marquis said...

I love that website :) I am constantly "haunting" their "Other Angels" waiting for families. While I know I am not equipped right now to parent a child with Downs there are so many others waiting with other special needs. I would like to encourage people interested in adoption to consider these precious children...we found Anara on a website like this. (www.untilallhavehomes.org)

Carrie DeLille said...

Been there, done that. Convincing people that because a child can't physically talk does not mean that he/she is incapable of anything else. My oh my.

Anonymous said...

I love to read the Reeces families blogs. I read so many adoption blogs. Of all the adopting families those families seem to be the happiest. They are always upbeat and they really enjoy their kids.

map